6/19/2011

So many reasons for presents!

June is becoming celebration month in this family. Its always been my dad's birthday (June 17th) and father's day which is always very closely ahead or behind. Then hubby came along and his birthday is June 18th. We still haven't really gotten a routine down to make each person feel special, but it wasn't quite as hard since Mike wasn't a father... we'd just leave Dad's day to the actual dad's... you get the picture.

So now we have both men's birthdays and they both are fathers. Not fair! That is completely overwhelming for me! I tried hard to be prepared this year and at least be on top of the gifts part. I couldn't really control the party planning and whatnot since I was due to give birth at any moment. (I wrote this ahead of time, maybe by the time you read this I am not pregnant??)

First gift first, my dad. He is so ridiculously excited to be a grandpa. So cute with any little kid around and planning and purchasing silly little pink things in anticipation. So I knew I wanted to get him something that was poking fun at that a bit. I know the t-shirt with a saying thing is very cliche... so I only ventured out into that world briefly. Except I found one that is perfect!



So he'll probably wear it every single day (right, Dad??)  and Mom will be completely sick of it. Think of it as a double gift.

Now for Mike. Ok this is a fun story, ready?

When we started dating, Mike was all about his Puma shoes. See when we were just friends (for about a year and a half before we dated), Mike went through a little transformation (he would kill me for saying this!) See, he liked this girl, and decided a mini transformation was needed. He started wearing his contacts more, showering after his construction classes (instead of staying grimy til the end of the day), wearing nice jeans and shoes (Pumas) instead of his dirty class jeans and work boots. He even wore cute hats instead of dirty baseball caps! All in all he really did a 180 and we noticed and teased appropriately. Even if it didn't work with that girl, it certainly worked with me! We started dating about 6 months later and the rest is history.

Well the problem came when his beloved Pumas wore out. We tried and tried different types of shoes for him to wear when he wasn't working, but he never had that fancy step in his walk like he did with those shoes. I was determined to bring this back, so I stalked his side of the closet and found his shoe size, stared at the shoes long and hard, and started googling. Unfortunately, they don't make the exact pair anymore, but I was able to find a close second, and decided they would do.



Aren't they beautiful?

So the crazy part? I ordered them on Tuesday because they would be arriving in 4-5 business days. That was perfect. I would be done with work and at home so I could be there to get them and he wouldn't find out what I got him ahead of time. So Wednesday afternoon, I had the afternoon off, and Mike and I were sitting around talking. I looked up, and there was the delivery guy with a box staring at me through the window with his finger on the doorbell. Instead he waved at me and set the box down. Whew!! I ran up, grabbed the box, and hid it as fast as I could. Zappos, how did you get it to me so fast??? So huge shout out to them. One day?? That is crazy! And Mike did not see it and the shoe looks very similar to the last pair (you think I didn't compare?). All is well with this gift.

As of me writing this, I don't have a good Father's day present for either of them, other than a granddaughter that I've been cooking for 9-10 months. Can we just call that good?

Last - my sis-in-law and I made a cake for Mike and his dad. Red Velvet with frosting... I've never made this kind before (let alone making a two tiered cake!) but it was a success in looks and taste! We had a lot of extra frosting (topping?) so we colored it and wrote on it too. I got some frosting tube things as a wedding present and actually haven't have the chance to use them. Super easy, not hard to clean up (once Liz figured out that it came apart in more than one spot) and made the cake MUCH better.



The loved it... btw don't they look so alike??

  
B-E-A-utiful.
My dad didn't get any of this cake since he wasn't here... but it is for him too! Happy Father's Day Dad!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment