8/15/2012

Hard for me too

I had my first student quit piano lessons today because she didn't like it. She was crying and her dad made her tell me why. It was so hard for me to hear too because it made me feel like a failure. The saddest thing is that she never gave me any clues that she didn't like it and she was doing so well. My heart hurt a little as I watched her walk away, knowing that she probably won't do anything else in music. I truly hope that it wasn't something I did or said directly that turned her away from piano.

I knew it would happen, it is bound to happen, but I still feel bad. Sure, I'm getting more students as I go and some of my other students obviously love piano, but it's hard to not take it personally when someone doesn't like something that I love.

Here's hoping that is the only student I lose over the next couple of months! My heart can't take any more for a while.

Want to leave a comment? Click on the title of this post and scroll to the bottom. You'll see the comment section there. Can't wait to read what you have to say!

1 comment:

  1. that's  what makes teaching music so hard - the rejection - after 36 years, it still takes my appeptie away.  God bless you as you work thru this ever present battle.
    love

    ReplyDelete