3/16/2012

Cloth Diapers Revisited

I just made a purchase for something that kind of seems like a waste of money. We bought a bunch of cloth diapers through Ebay before we had Josie and I never tried any other kind. Because of this, I always wondered if I had really gotten the best deal and, much to my dismay, realized that although they were cheap, they were not the best quality (will I ever learn?). So reluctantly, because I know that each time I buy more I am lowering the grand total amount of savings compared to using disposables, I decided to start slowly replenishing our stock with better quality (and way more expensive) diapers. We're definitely going to have more kids someday so eventually it will still pay of way more than not.

Today I purchased two Flip diapers with two liners. They, as of today, don't sell the diapers with an insert included, but so nicely took off $3(the insert costs $5) so now each diaper costs $2 more. Oh if only I had purchased them before when I had decided to do this... I could have saved a lot of mullah.

This is what they look like:



Cute, and easier for me. Why? Because instead of having to wash a million diapers, I can just wash a million inserts. Less laundry to wash and dry (since you really don't need to dry them anyways since it is kind of hard on them and they usually just sit in the dryer all night long while we sleeping/wrestling a sleepy baby) and less to PACK which is the main thing. Going places, even out and about in town, has been frustrating because I know I should pack at least two diapers, but the bulk that they take up is just annoying. Now I can just pack one and pack 2 inserts (or even 3! daring, I know) and then still have room for her many other necessary items like toys and pacifiers. Yes, more than one is often needed.

I also went online and purchased 9 more inserts from cottonbabies.com that only cost about $3.80 an insert instead of $4.95.

I have a friend that has purchased Flip diapers, which is where I heard of them, but have any of you ran across them and liked/disliked them? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Overall I am still so happy that we went with cloth. My husband even agrees which says a lot since he was not on board when I first brought it up. The truth of the matter is the cost savings is big, and I love that we are not throwing out a million diapers a week. No judging if you do, but this works for us.

I don't mind washing them and they are just so cute on her little bum. I can't wait until she's wearing dresses again (soon, so very soon!) because then I can even match them to the outfit. Oh the little things I live for...



Want to leave a comment? Click on the title of this post and scroll to the bottom. You'll see the comment section there. Can't wait to read what you have to say!

5 comments:

  1. laurie3/16/2012

    THAT is NOT Jo Jo ... WHY (may I ask) do I care to read about and see (about) things that are not DIRECTLY concerning Josie!?  (Just askin'.)

    Anonymously Yours,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad you chose cloth diapers, the other ones make me cringe when I see the price and one is always lugging home those big packages of diapers, storing them in the bedroom.  Didn't realize yours weren't the best quality, and didn't realize the space two or more take in the diaper bag. . .good idea!
    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teacherpollock3/16/2012

    Love, love, LOVE our Flips. It's the only kind we use and we haven't looked back. I have a lot of info on my blog about the Flips if you want to read about our experiences. Feel free to email me if you have any questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We LOVE the flip diapers! We use them with prefolds (cheaper than the inserts) and they work great, and then do a prefold + the insert for overnight. We were using Thirsties DuoWraps with a prefold for several months before switching to Flip, and the Flip are a thousand times better and more leakproof. Glad you made the switch and hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What prefold do you use? I love the inserts because they are great quality but they are so expensive like you eluded to.

    ReplyDelete