7/13/2012

Broken Hearted

It may be that I am paying more attention to the news lately, although I don't think that is the case. There have been an ridiculous amount of accidents caused by recklessness, many including drinking while driving.






Last week, a family of three was driving to visit family early in the morning (around 7:00 AM). They were hit head on by a drunk driver that was driving on the westbound highway instead of the eastbound highway. I can only imagine their immediate terror as the looked ahead of them expecting to see a car headed in the same direction as them but instead seeing someone coming straight towards them. More than likely speeding, the drunk driver probably didn't even see it coming as he obviously wasn't thinking clearly. What flashed through the family's minds, I can't even imagine.  All people involved were killed: the drunk driver, the three in the family, and the unborn baby that the woman was carrying. 

My hubby and I were talking about it last night. Can you imagine?  That family is a mirror of our own. A young couple with a toddler and another on the way all gone. It's heartbreaking.


I hate the action/sin of drunk driving. I don't hate the driver. He made a mistake, and although he doesn't have to live with it, he lost his life as well as taking the life of four others (you can bet that the life of that unborn baby counts!). My heart breaks for that man's family as well as I imagine the painful things they will hear about their son, brother, nephew, etc. 


I know people that have gotten DUI's. It's hard not judge, I won't lie, because the dangers are high and we hear so many stories about horrible accidents or situations occurring. I stress again that it is the action these people are taking that is so disappointing, that makes me sick to my stomach. I love these people dearly and their sin is no greater than mine. 


I urge you though, it's not worth it. It's just not worth it. I am sure that this man just wanted to get home, get in his own bed, sleep off his drunken "fog head" from drinking too much. He had no intention of killing anyone. He had no idea that he was so close to his end. Yet that doesn't change anything because what happened cannot be reversed. 


Dear Lord, please be with the family's of both the man and the small family. Please allow good to come from this, even though it seems impossible. Thank you for your greatness and reassurance that even though there is pain on earth, your greater picture, greater plan, is set and sealed. No matter the pain we feel here, you have given us a light, the greatest light of all in Your Son, at the end of the tunnel.

Want to leave a comment? Click on the title of this post and scroll to the bottom. You'll see the comment section there. Can't wait to read what you have to say!

1 comment:

  1. unbelievably sad and too close to home.

    ReplyDelete