3/01/2012

One last confession

I haven't been honest with you lately.

I quit Weight Watchers. I was fed up with the limited recipes and since I don't have the iPhone like everyone else on the planet, I don't have the accessibility to look each thing up. That's an excuse though. I work at a computer all day and can access one at home all the time. Really, I was too lazy to put the time in. I'm so sick of confessing how lazy I am - but it's the truth. Maybe I'll start saying busy instead. Better, right?

I'm using My Fitness Pal instead since it is free. Plus calorie information is on everything. Points are not. It is easier to follow, and it tells you how much you'll lose in 5 weeks if you keep it up. That is motivating, let me tell you.

But the bottom line with all of this is that it doesn't matter what App I'm using. It doesn't matter if I'm using it online or writing it down on paper (like I'd ever take the time to do that!). If I'm not truly committed, it won't do it for me.

I'm not truly committed.
It pains me to admit it.

I am committed only most of the time, and it's that small portion of time that blows it. That time when my will power disintegrates and all I can think about is immediate satisfaction.

The dumbest foods completely set me off. Tortilla chips. Fudgesicles. Chocolate Chips (true story - I would eat them by the handful if it's all that is around). It's bad.

I'm sure it's like an addiction, but I don't even want to go there because there are real addictions out there that are ruining people and who am I to say that this is even in the same ballpark? The truth is I am being busy lazy. I've developed habits that I'm not willing to break.

And that 10K that I'm supposed to be training for? I can come up with ever excuse in the book. My next attempt to be successful on the dreadmill (see what I did there?) is to listen to a book while running. I think I also just need to tell myself that the option is not available to stop. I know I can do it but mind over body is a lot easier to talk about than to actually apply and overcome.

Sick of hearing this stuff over and over again? I'm sorry; I forget to post the good things too. It's hard to remember to do that because those days with real successes seem to be few and far between. But I've done it before and I can do it again.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!
    I know exactly where you're at. Sometimes I don't feel like running. Sometimes I don't run for a week. But then I remember my goal - a crazy half-marathon. Two months to go, and I haven't even made half mileage! But then I found a beginner workout plan for it that I tweaked to work for me. Sure, it's hard to stick to it and eating healthy is tough too, but when I find that I'm struggling, I call on God. Sounds silly, but God is my motivator for running. He's the only one on the sidelines right now cheering me on as I run on the dreadmill (I HATE them too!!!). I prefer running outside because it makes the time go faster. Here's a tip: when I'm running and I find myself wanting to quit, I calculate how many miles I have left, convert it to minutes (so about 21 minutes for two miles) and convert that to "3 minute songs" (even though songs are usually longer, this is more accurate), so that would be 7 songs on my ipod. And I count down. At the beginning of a song,  I say to myself, "six songs after this" and so on. It really helps because most of the time you'll know your music on your playlist so you can enjoy it and you know when the end is coming for that song. 

    When it gets warmer, we can be running buddies! We can map out runs and encourage each other. OR I can become your running accountability partner. I kind of have one unofficially, and it pushes me when I know she works out and I don't. 

    You can do this Sarah, you've done it before! I know life has changed, you have a beautiful girl in your life and a wonderful husband and a job, but I bet that once it gets back into routine for you, you'll start to actually crave it. 

    Remember when I came over and you made those chicken strips off of weight watchers? Let's do that again! I haven't seen you in years anyway. 

    You can do it Sarah, I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete