8/01/2016

A season within a season








I find it a little ironic that the last post on here was all about being outside and how to do that easily and often. It's not that my hopes or intentions have changed, it's that the usual summer activities, temperatures, and bugs have taken over. 

Instead of being outside for hours at a time daily, we are outside for hours at a time a couple of times a week. We are often busy, going to parks, swimming, visiting friends, and going on bike rides, but we don't spend as much time hiking (at all) or being in our backyard unless there is a breeze. I could be hard on myself about this, but I've really come to an understanding about myself (ourselves) and this time of year.

It's a season that ebbs and flows. Just like in winter with the harsh wind and freezing temperatures, you have good days and bad. The beginning and end of the season are usually the best, for both our attitudes and the conditions. I'm finding that this is true with summer as well. 

We had an amazing Spring. I would go so far as to call it almost perfect. It was dry with few rainy days, so the bugs were minimal. We were out and about daily and enjoyed it to the fullest. When the humidity hit, we slowed down. It just wipes me out, no matter if I'm pregnant, nursing, or just me. I used to blame it on those two stages, but honestly it's just exhausting. We still go outside, but we don't have the energy level or desire to do a lot. Now that the rain has come (a blessing, of course) and the humidity has lingered, the mosquitos are out and we are not. I have yet to find a spray that works effectively against them and we get eaten alive, as if they are magnetically drawn to us. It's not fun, and we find ourselves avoiding them at all costs.

I'm not complaining, though. This is my point: it's a season. I shouldn't feel guilty or frustrated about it, because in not too long, it will pass and we'll back to the best of times, when we can be outside all day without the humidity and bugs, maybe needing a sweater or blanket at times but possible nonetheless. I do so love Spring and Autumn. The end of a season leading into the start of another is one of the best things in life. I couldn't live somewhere that didn't have this transition four times a year. I cannot wait to feel that anticipation with my little girls.

While we wait, we will continue to do the activities that we do enjoy right now. We will continue to swim at our favorite spot, Buffalo River State Park. We will continue our random walks around the neighborhood (specifically the neighborhood behind us that winds along the river with hardly any traffic around). We will have picnics and play in the sand. We will stop for ice cream treats and splash pad visits. 


When the humidity finally goes away and the sun isn't quite as hot, we'll eagerly get back on the trails and explore some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment