8/19/2013

Things I've learned from moving

We've started making piles of things in random closets/storage areas that were previously packed frantically in random boxes and let me tell you. I thought I was organized in our old home. I really did. The reality really puts me to shame. We have a plethora of cleaning products, like three toilet bowl cleaners, four different kinds of shower/bathroom cleaners, two Windex varieties, four floor cleaners and then of course my home remedies (you know, the stuff we actually use). On top of that, we have six to eight varieties of Oxyclean, which I've recently decided is way to chemically strong for this household since I accidentally got some on my hands and immediately had burn marks on my fingers and palms. I freaked out and had to get them under cold water which did help, but can you imagine if Josie or Audrey got a hold of it? Makes me shudder just thinking about it. That stuff is no joke. I really have no reason to keep it around though because my homemade stain remover is the most amazing thing and I'll never go back. (want to know what it is? Just good old hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn dish soap. It's faaabulous.)

Moving in inevitably means unpacking, organizing, and reorganizing things like ten to twenty times before you feel that it is just right. Of course, in six months to a year it will have to be reorganized again because now you really know how it should be. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Two year old girls love to dig through boxes, so the faster they are unpacked shoved into random closets with closed doors the better.

Nine month olds don't like when you spend all of your time unpacking said boxes. In fact, they would much rather you just hold their hands so they can walk all around aimlessly for hours and hours. If you think you can possibly put the nine month old in front of a fun!toy! you are sadly mistaken. No toy is as fun as a distracted, busy mama.

Light switches probably won't make sense for a while. You will find yourself walking around randomly flicking them up, down, in, around (yes, some are the spin types while others have to be held in instead of flipped) and then frantically running around to see if any lights magically turned on. I would imagine it's humorous to say the least. All of these big windows provide quite the show to all the passersby.

Hanging up big huge block letters spelling our last name really helps make it feel like the place is ours. But... that feeling will quickly disappear when you cannot find a single telephone jack to hook up the internet in any of the rooms. Walking around aimlessly while two girls scream for attention trying to locate just one that isn't in the kitchen just doesn't cut it, and definitely doesn't scream "this is your home you live heeeere!"

There is a never ending to do list lurking around every corner and the minute you sit down, you'll jump back up with just one more thing that must be done riiiiight now. It's exhausting and I'm ready for it to play out.

Moving is fun! Right?

Pictures to come of the house, I promise. But here is a preview:

She's so intense.


3 comments:

  1. I remember that feeling of "what were the electricians thinking" but now we are used to the light switches. Can't believe you could only find one phone jack - maybe you should have smart phones with "hotspots". Sounds like Audrey needs a Grandma to walk her around:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn Borud Tweiten8/20/2013

    even really good things in our lives can cause stress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie8/21/2013

    I haven't moved since we have had kids but I can imagine how stressful it is. Praying you will still have your sanity after all this :)

    ReplyDelete