9/14/2011


Count the quality of your moments together rather than quantity of your minutes.

I got this from a blog I follow and it hit me hard.

The last couple of days have been so bittersweet. I am finding that there are a lot of things I enjoy with my "new" job and I'm not upset or bummed out when I go to work in the morning. Yet I want to spend so much more time with my daughter and every little thing that gets in the way like cleaning, cooking, or organizing just stresses me out. I think I need to relax a bit and think about the quality of life instead of quantity of time spent on each thing.

I've lived my life planning every little detail. It helped me be successful at a lot of things, a lot more than my peers took the time to do. Because I was so organized I was able to graduate in the standard 4 years after switching my major at least 3 times. I was able to have 3 jobs and more than 20 credits most semesters and still have time for friends and family. I was busy, and yes a little stressed, but it gave me a huge sense of accomplishment and work ethic and I wouldn't change that for anything.

Now though, my life is completely different. No longer am I pushing forward to the next stage. I am making every effort to enjoy this stage I am in because let's face it, it's a long one! The next stage for me would be after kids... I can't even imagine where we will be in this world at that point. With this new perspective, I am finding that I have to change more than just my routine. I have to change my whole way of thinking. I had myself trained to always look for the fastest most efficient way. If I do that now, Josie will be grown up and moving out before I can even blink.

I have such a great life. A job that is secure, a beautiful baby, a supportive, sweet, and faithful husband, and a goofy full-of-love dog to come home to at nights. I have a house, a close knit family, and my health. What more could someone ask for? I just can't stress enough how God has blessed me.

I hope that by this time next year I will have figured out a way to be efficient while enjoying each moment. I hope I will be able to look back without regrets and say "I did the best I could and wouldn't change a thing".

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/14/2011

    Wise ... VERY wise!! Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/14/2011

    so insightful. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo true my dear!! It is so easy to get caught up in the "what's next?" thought... Enjoy every minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a poem that says it all


    Song for a Fifth Child

    Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

    Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
    Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
    Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
    Sew on a button and butter the bread.
    Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
    She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

    Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
    Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
    Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
    Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

    The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
    And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
    But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
    Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
    Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

    The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
    But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
    So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
    I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9/15/2011

    Hopefully you can handle this better than your mama, but yes, we are so blessed.
    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete