8/28/2013

The funk is gone, the changes keep coming

I think I am safely out of the self proclaimed rut I was in for a couple of weeks. Seriously, it wasn't pretty. I spent a lot of time sitting around, partly because my foot is in a boot so I needed to rest it and partly because I just didn't feel like doing anything.

Moving is so exciting, but then there is that period of time after you get all of the obvious things put away and in place. You know what I'm talking about. When the only things left to unpack are so random that they don't have logical homes and you have to really thing about it, try different places, and decided what to keep, buy, and throw away. It can be overwhelming. It's also not really that fun. I love organizing spaces. I think it is one of those under appreciated loves of life. But sometimes it's just not fun, and that was what I was stuck with last week. I didn't want to do it because I knew I'd either have to do it again sooner or later or it didn't have a logical place and I knew it'd drive me crazy. 

On top of that, walking around is just not fun. This boot is driving me crazy, and I have ripped it off a couple of times just to let my foot breathe. The 90+ temps combined with the feeling of wearing a winter boot all day makes me ornery but thankfully that's just once in a while and not all of the time. 

Single parenting. Not my favorite. I'm crazy impressed with parents that do this full-time and am so thankful to have my hubby when he can be here. We're doing okay, but we are more in survival mode than thriving mode and I don't want to stay in this place for too long.

I ordered a preschool curriculum guide to do with Josie to keep us focused and on a regular schedule this year. I'm so excited to start! It's called ABC Jesus Loves Me. It's Christ centered, has room for flexibility with the activities, and is easy to adapt if we need more or less time. I love that it is on a weekly schedule so that you don't have to try to get XYandZ done each day. Check it out if you want to understand more. I have high hopes for this one.

We have our second foster kiddo staying with us this week. It's not looking like a long stay, which bums me out a little. We were hesitant after our first foster kid because we didn't feel that we clicked with him. You can read more about that here. We both felt certain that God was not saying that we were done with this yet, so we left the door open to it and continued living our lives. 

Our foster kid is 11. That is a lot older than we were/are comfortable with! I'm fairly certain that if my hubby was here, he'd be panicking since he has zero experience with preteen girls. I, on the other hand, have really clicked with her and am enjoying having someone a little older around to talk with and keep me company. She's helpful and loves reading. The little girl in me jumped for joy when she wanted to go to the library to get a few books for the week. Not just silly books, either, but good books that I so hope my girls will want to read someday. 

But like I said earlier, it won't be a long stay. She's pretty far away from school and it makes it hard on the social worker and me to get her there and back each day so more than likely she'll be leaving us. I'm so thankful that God has given me this gift though. Having her stay with us even for a little while has shown me that we can do this. Each child is different, it will never be exactly the same. Anticipating the unknown, dreading it, just makes it worse, and we can't do anything about it until it is here. 

More and more, I am learning to give the gift of hospitality, of sharing our home, our lives. It's a work in progress, but so so good. It's one of the best ways we can serve the Lord in this season of babies and busy work schedules.

For now, I am enjoying my new found motivation, company of a preteen, toddler being less crabby and mischievous, and baby being on the other side of teething. Life is good (but my hubby can come back any time of course).




For your convenience, you can follow Living with Intention by choosing one of these options:

1 comment:

  1. I knew you were on a high and then of course, plummeting low after the move. So natural, and then add a stress fracture. . .didn't expect this week to already start turning around. God has His share of surprises, doesn't He?

    ReplyDelete