5/31/2013

Fitness Friday

My workouts were few and far between this week, but the few I got really counted for something.

Tuesday, I went for a run before nap time around 1:00. I ran a total of two miles and walked half a mile. I ran a straight 1.25 miles before walking and then mixed it up from that point on. What was impressive for me was that I started back up running as often as I did. Back in the day when I was a awesome mediocre runner, I couldn't stop to walk because I would never start running again so instead I would crawl along at a slow jog the whole time. I'd stop, catch my breath, and take off again if I couldn't run anymore. It worked well for me, but then again I wasn't pushing a stroller with two kids that inevitably had needs needing to be met. Nowadays, I have to stop at least 4-10 times every time I am out. I also can walk for a while and then pick it up and jog without feeling like I'm dying. That's big, I'm telling you.

Today, I loaded the (crabby, so crabby) girls up and took off. I ran the first mile straight, only stopping to put the pacifier back in Audrey's mouth two times. I had to turn around then because I knew it'd be too far for the girls so that was really the halfway point. After that mile, both girls got whiny and I had to stop more often, but when I did start up, it was jogging not walking. I ran the whole two miles! Huge for me! I wish I had more info, like how fast I was going, but alas, the app on my phone started me out way before I was out the door so my average was all messed up. I'm sure it was around 5.2 mph like it always is which is fine by me.

I also fell of the wagon the last couple of days with my food intake. Sort of humiliating, but it is what it is. I weighed myself this morning and found that I was half a lb lighter than I was last week, which seems great and I'm happy I'm not more, but it got me thinking that I had probably lost more than that before the little break I took. Motivation works in weird ways sometimes and comes when you least expect it. And sometimes, it's freakishly predictable:

Nothing like a little shopping to motivate me! 

I went to Old Navy and loaded up on a few new things. Let me just preface this to tell you that my current running ensemble consists of running capris from like 2006 that used to be black but are now more of a brown gray with a hole that has been patched up on my leg and an old ratty t-shirt that is stained and discolored. Nice, huh? The alternative is the same kind of shirt (in red this time, not lime green) with some yoga pants (so.hot.) that shimmy their way down until they are obscenely low causing me to stop and yank them back, up every 10 feet or so (I kid, I kid, more like every 30 feet).

I knew pants weren't an option because covered ankles=crazy hot mess but shorts wouldn't work either because of the inevitable chub rub. I present you the official (maybe? probably not) running capris that Old Navy had on sale.


Don't mind the tank top. That's not new (ha, like I'd they'd still sell that old thing) but will be worn to run in since it's loose and sleeveless. (Isn't the location of my full-length mirror charming? Why hello, overfilled pantry and dark, seemingly dingy hallway.)

I got two pairs of capris and two racer top tank tops. One is more of a mesh material (not shown in pictures) and is pretty tight while the other is cotton and has more stretch. I like them both but the cotton one is my favorite (see below).


Isn't it fun to fool everyone with a well taken selfie? I look pretty good here if I do say so myself, but properly fitting running gear can hide certain body parts quite well.

Things are looking up! Running doesn't seem so overwhelming and I'm still wanting to do it, so I'll keep riding this train while I can. I would love to get my speed up to a 10 minute mile (or even faster?) or just get the distance higher, which isn't all that unreasonable. Maybe a 5k is in my future. A 10k would be fabulous. We'll see how it goes. Right now, the last thing I need is a lofty goal to disappoint me down the road. One day at a time for the time being...

On that note, I'm off to do some sitting until the girls wake up from nap numero dos. I do love to just sit around sometimes. Keep your eyes out for a post on potty training (exciting, I know). I am almost done with it and it's kind of interesting if I do say so myself. Happy weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. Jen Koepp6/04/2013

    I love that gray tank top...so cute :)
    JenK

    ReplyDelete