11/29/2012

Rough Start

It's been quiet over here, don't you think? There's a reason. Along with adapting to this new life, I've been fighting off Mastitis. Let me tell you, it's not fun.

Yesterday afternoon, I got that achy feeling you get when the flu is about to hit you hard. My whole body was over sensitive and I knew that something was coming. Eventually it turned into a fever and I started getting chills. The chills were so strong and awful, not like normal chills when having a fever.

I've been having a hard time with breast feeding this time around just because of the sores I have from when she first latched incorrectly. It seems like every time they are almost healed, they get ripped back open again (sorry if that seems graphic). On top of that, my milk supply has been insane, which has caused engorgement, so I wasn't surprised when I had every single symptom of Mastitis. 

But seriously, it's awful. I spent a large portion of yesterday afternoon and evening crying (sometimes sobbing dramatically, hormones you know) and my poor girl Jo didn't even know what was going on.

It's important to continue breast feeding when this happens because it helps flush out the clogged milk duct. It hurts oh so much but is worth it. 

So today, Jo went to Grandma's (seriously what would I do without her) and I stayed home with Audrey and fed her all.day.long. I noticed how red my right side was, so I called the doctor and got in for an afternoon appointment. My doctor confirmed my self-diagnosis and got me the antibiotics and now hopefully I can recover quickly and get past this awful start to what I hope to be a long road of breast feeding.

She's cute, so that helps. 








Want to leave a comment? Click on the title of this post and scroll to the bottom. You'll see the comment section there. Can't wait to read what you have to say!

3 comments:

  1. UGH! So sorry you are going through this! Breastfeeding was miserable for me and only lasted a week but I pumped for 4 months so Avery had 5 months of breastmilk before we started formula. I didn't get mastitis but came close to it. My BFF had it with her 2nd and was admitted to the hospital because she got so sick. Hope you are feeling and thank the Lord for helpful family members! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable and reminds me so much of Josie.  I wonder why you have SO  MUCH MILK!  and I'm glad that it's OK and good to continue to feed her.  I've never known anyone to get mastitis but I've heard of it a lot.  Will be interesting to view the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie11/30/2012

    Oh girl ouch!  I have had a little of this...and can't believe how crazy it is that it makes us feel like the flu...it's happened to me about 3-4 times this go around and  I know it's not fun!  I haven't had it full out...but the little that I have had has been not fun.  I will keep you in my prayers that it gets all healed and better!

    ReplyDelete