5/03/2015

Grammy's concert

This weekend was filled with high's (picnic and bonfire in our back yard for the first time, dinner with family to celebrate a birthday, time with more family today) and lows (too late nights causing some serious attitude and not so fun discipline that made both hubby and I want to run away).

So let's go back to Monday and talk about Grammy's concert instead!

Since Grammy will most likely retire next year, we knew we had to go to this last concert for this year... there are only a few left! The stage band and singers group performed all of their songs from the year that were perfected the week before on a week long tour. They were polished, entertaining, and sounded great.

The girls are at a better age than last year for sitting still through a whole concert. All except that little one (ah hem). Josie was clapping along, pointing out instruments, and sitting attentively. She even took "notes" on the little desk that was attached to her chair. Audrey was squirmy as always (her cue that she's tired) but still did pretty well and lasted through the whole concert thanks to a bag of books and coloring materials. 

Amelia was quietly watching and listening for the first half but then got over tired and needed to be held and bounced, so I wrapped her to me and stood on the side so I could keep moving while still watching. She refused to sleep but instead listened closely with big eyes. This brought to mind a flashback of Josie, who would never sleep in public and always had to be looking around and taking everything in. Amelia did finally fall asleep towards the end, though. She's been showing a lot of signs that her personality is a lot like Jo. Let's pray that we can handle two strong willed kiddos, k? K, thanks.


Before the concert, we rushed down to Wahpeton/Breckenridge to eat at the Wilkin, a family favorite bar and grill that we never get to eat at since we are never in town anymore. It was fabulous as always and we left totally stuffed.





Often times, when the stage band is performing they'll have one or two songs that has audience participation. Usually, it's family or friends of the performers, and this year my two little ladies joined Grammy on stage to play a few percussion instruments. I could not believe my eyes. Shy little Audrey had no fear at all and Josie seemed unsure but lasted for the whole song. My eyes were locked to the stage the entire time, I never thought they'd go in front of all of those people! At one point, Josie turned around and tried to give her instrument back to Grammy. I think she was saying, "I'm done now," but she wasn't heard and the other adults encouraged her keep playing The look on her face when she turned back had me almost running up there. For just a brief moment, she looked absolutely panicked and I thought she was going to cry. I don't blame her, being on stage like that can be scary, but thankfully she pulled through. She was pretty pleased with herself later when I asked her about it.




I have a lot of memories of going to concerts as a child. Obviously, our family went to all of my mom's concerts, but she also made a point to expose us to other kinds of music and it really broadened my musical horizon. We went to barbershop shows, musicals, plays, and orchestra concerts, plus more that I'm not remembering right now. I hope we can instill a love for performances and music in our ladies!

I got to listen to the girls "performing" a bunch of the songs that they remembered for the rest of the week. I didn't mind. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment