10/10/2013

Fostering short term

Life has been a bit of a whirlwind this week.

I have to admit, I have questioned God a bit. More than a bit. (A bunch?)

On Tuesday night, we picked up a sweet 3 1/2 year old girl. She's leaving tomorrow (Friday) morning. Just like that. Our shortest yet. Honestly, it hurts and I'm doing every single thing I can to avoid a bitter heart and attitude. I have no expectations when it comes to "long term" stays. I don't have a preference whether it is two months, six months, or two years. We are not doing this for us

It's just hard to feel like we are helping these kids when we are basically glorified baby sitters. Only having them for a week (or less as is the case this time) doesn't give us hardly any time to get to know them, let alone share Jesus with them. (No, we don't immediately start "evangelizing them." That is not the approach we take with sharing our faith with others. We pray that our daily lives, routines, prayers, and faith can make an impact and trust that God will shine through us. Especially when it is short term.)

Really, I know that we have to trust God, that he has a plan and that no matter how long or short the stay is, anything is possible. We more than likely will never know what impact we have made on any of these kids, but again, we don't do this for ourselves.

It doesn't stop me from being frustrated and discouraged. It's going to be hard to say good bye to this sweet girl tomorrow. I pray our hearts can heal and be ready for the next kiddo that comes our way, because there will be a next one. We're not done here yet.



1 comment:

  1. God is going to use you guys in a mighty way!


    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete