4/17/2013

The first

We have a foster child living with us! It was last minute (which wasn't surprising) and has gone extremely well all things considered. He's a he and is five years old and has been great with the girls. Josie is already smitten. She follows him around and loves that he will let her play with him. She echoes him and grins at me from across the room. It's so sweet. Thankfully, he enjoys her company and is willing to put up with her selfish toddler ways.

It's a huge adjustment, but not in the way I expected. I have no idea how to entertain a five year old and a boy for that matter. We have a bunch of girl toys but they are much more appropriate for girls and kids two and under. I don't know what is normal when it comes to things like bathing, using the bathroom, changing clothes, etc. I'm so thankful to have a husband to help me out of those awkward situations.

Another difference is that sometimes there is more "down time" for me because the kids can actually play together. On the other hand, five year olds talk a lot more. I swear my ears are ringing. I've answered more questions today than I have ever answered before. Seriously. The kid's curious. 

I'm so glad to be doing this. I know this is the honeymoon stage, and that we have no answers to our many (many!) questions, but today, this first full day as a family of five (temporary as it is) was a good day. A day that I am truly thankful for.



Want to leave a comment? Click on the title of this post and scroll to the bottom. You'll see the comment section there. Can't wait to read what you have to say!

5 comments:

  1. Jenifer Fontenot4/18/2013

    Awesome! Can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's great! I hope it's wonderful for all of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie4/23/2013

    That is so awesome you are doing that! That little boy is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen Koepp10/22/2013

    Oh my gosh Sarah that is soooooo awesome!!! I hope everything goes great for you guys through all this cuz it is such an amazing thing you are doing!

    ReplyDelete